There are a variety of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks programs designed to recruit new hunters and anglers. All efforts are in response to a declining trend in the number of Kansans who purchase hunting and fishing licenses, as well as the desire to see our outdoor heritage passed on. But the positive impact of teaching youngsters about the outdoors may go much deeper than merely passing on a heritage.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Where Would I Be?

I was scrolling through my photo storage recently, looking for a particular image when I came across a photo my wife took in Colorado last year. It's one of my favorites of me and the big black dog trout fishing. I've always said Creede (the lab) isn't good at fishing, but he knows it's important. You can see it in his eyes, and you can see the joy on my face. The photo immediately immersed me in memories of fishing the Rio Grande. Then I wondered if those experiences would be as important and whether I'd be looking forward to our trip this fall as much if I hadn't grown up fishing with Granddad and Dad. Where would I be today with that in my past?

It's a scary thought, but it isn't real because I did grow up with that in my life. I don't dwell on the past other than to reminisce about good times, but when I think about how much those experiences have meant to me, I get pretty sentimental. Spending time outdoors with my family has been an enormous guiding factor in my life, and I'm indescribably happy that I have that. It's something to think about next time you're wondering if you have time for a short fishing trip with the kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment