There are a variety of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks programs designed to recruit new hunters and anglers. All efforts are in response to a declining trend in the number of Kansans who purchase hunting and fishing licenses, as well as the desire to see our outdoor heritage passed on. But the positive impact of teaching youngsters about the outdoors may go much deeper than merely passing on a heritage.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Summer Magic

One of my hobbies for the past two summers has been thinking up new ways to complain about the heat. One of my favorites was when I commented one day last July about how 95 degrees felt "cool." And I was serious! I guess compared to 105, 95 is cool. Then I realized that thinking 95 is cool is like thinking three-dollar gas is cheap. Anyway, I don't deal with the hot weather as well as I did when I was a kid. When I was 12, summer was  synonymous with outside. I have such fond memories of summer when I was that age, and none of those memories include being inside by the air conditioner. We road bikes to the county lake in the morning to fish. Back home by noon for lunch, then back on the bikes to the city pool by 2 p.m. We swam until 4 or so before heading home for supper. After supper we were back outside on our bikes cruising around town or shooting baskets in the driveway. At dusk, it wasn't unusual to get a neighborhood game of "Capture The Flag" going, which often lasted until well after dark. The next day, we got up and did it again. I don't remember ever worrying about how hot it was. Summer was outside, fishing, bike riding, swimming and neighborhood fun. Summer was magic.

1 comment:

  1. Something that does help deal with the hot weather is a 2 gallon jug of water. You probably don't work outside 8-9 hrs outside like I do but the water makes it tolerable up to 106 degrees. By Thursday and Friday it can be 2 1/2 gallons per day. Where does all the water go after consumption? I wish I knew.

    ReplyDelete