There are a variety of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks programs designed to recruit new hunters and anglers. All efforts are in response to a declining trend in the number of Kansans who purchase hunting and fishing licenses, as well as the desire to see our outdoor heritage passed on. But the positive impact of teaching youngsters about the outdoors may go much deeper than merely passing on a heritage.

Friday, May 20, 2011

A Simple Act

In my last entry, I closed by saying that I felt lucky my father took me along on that fishing trip when I was five. I also feel extremely fortunate that my father took me along when he went pheasant hunting. I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I was hooked on hunting from the first second of the first morning of my first hunt. It was that simple. That's really all it took to send me on a life-long journey enjoying hunting, fishing and the outdoors. That simple act has impacted who I am today, where I live and what I do for a living. It also had a profound impact on my relationship with my father. We're close today, and we still hunt and fish together. Those early days of fishing and pheasant hunting laid a foundation for a father/son relationship that remains strong. Dad and I will make our 20th trip to Canada fishing this year, and whether the fish bite or not, we'll have a great time. And to think, it all started more than 45 years ago when Dad took me fishing for the first time. Thanks Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment