There are a variety of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks programs designed to recruit new hunters and anglers. All efforts are in response to a declining trend in the number of Kansans who purchase hunting and fishing licenses, as well as the desire to see our outdoor heritage passed on. But the positive impact of teaching youngsters about the outdoors may go much deeper than merely passing on a heritage.

Friday, May 13, 2011

The Hook

I'm not sure when I really started my obsession with fish and fishing, but some of my earliest memories are of fishing in Colorado with my parents and grandparents. I distinctly remember a high-country beaver pond experience when I was four or five years old. We lived in Denver and one of my neighborhood buddy's parents had a cabin in the mountains. One weekend, Dad and I accompanied my buddy, his older brother and father on an overnight trip to the cabin. I don't remember much about the cabin, but I do remember what they called a 5-mile hike. We walked up to a high meadow divided by a creek and dotted with beaver ponds. I remember the cloudy, dreary morning and the dark water. I stood next to Dad as he cast. Suddenly a fish struck, and Dad handed me the rod. Beautiful brook trout seemed to hit on every cast, and I reeled in my share. I was hooked. I really don't know if that was a catalyst of my lifelong passion for fishing or if it was just a little gas on the fire. I do know that memory is firmly imbedded in my brain. I'm sure Dad was just happy to see me get such a kick out of reeling in those little trout, but the experience had a much more profound impact on me. Never underestimate the value of spending time with youngsters fishing, hunting and learning about the outdoors. I guarantee you, they will never forget. Seeing the accompanying video Mike Blair shot this spring reminded me of how lucky I was my father took me along.

No comments:

Post a Comment