There are a variety of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks programs designed to recruit new hunters and anglers. All efforts are in response to a declining trend in the number of Kansans who purchase hunting and fishing licenses, as well as the desire to see our outdoor heritage passed on. But the positive impact of teaching youngsters about the outdoors may go much deeper than merely passing on a heritage.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Shooting Fun

I'll never forget the summer I was 12 years old, and Dad took me to shoot trap at the Kinsley Gun Club. We had started pheasant hunting the previous fall, and improving our shotgun skills was a primary motivation. Neither of us knew anything about trap shooting, but local club members welcomed us and were generous with helpful hints. One shooter from Greensburg, Larry Schmidt, took special interest in helping me and even loaned me a gun that first year. We shot regularly for a couple of summers before I got busy with other activities and stopped making time for shooting. However, I never forgot the fun and great friendships we made. Much later in life, I became associated with another gun club and found the same kind of welcoming, friendly attitude. I've consistently met good people at gun clubs and shooting events, and I've seen new and young shooters welcomed everywhere I've been. Shooting at a local gun club is an inexpensive, safe and enjoyable activity for youngsters, and it could keep them from other less wholesome activities. Get involved with your local gun club or inquire with your local 4-H club to see if it sponsors a 4-H Shooting Sports Program. You and your young shooters will meet great people and have a great time. And you'll develop shotgun skills that will make next fall's hunting seasons much more enjoyable. By the way, the Kinsley Gun Club is still going strong and welcoming young shooters. Each fall, the club hosts the Kinsley Kids Klassic when young shooters from around the state gather for a competition. I'll keep you informed about his year's event.

No comments:

Post a Comment