There are a variety of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks programs designed to recruit new hunters and anglers. All efforts are in response to a declining trend in the number of Kansans who purchase hunting and fishing licenses, as well as the desire to see our outdoor heritage passed on. But the positive impact of teaching youngsters about the outdoors may go much deeper than merely passing on a heritage.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Making The Best of It

In an entry this summer, I wrote about how things we work for mean more than things that come easy. I referenced a fishing trip to Colorado with my friend Rex when it was very cold and windy, but we fished hard and caught a few really nice trout. Conditions were tough, and it was a frustrating at times, but in the end, Rex said, "You know, I think this was one of our best trips." I had to agree. We'd made the best of the situation and managed to thoroughly enjoy ourselves despite lack of cooperation from the fish and the weather. Perhaps making the best of any situation is something you figure out as you get older. My cousin Brad and I did the same this past weekend. He came for pheasants, knowing that bird numbers were low in the area we would hunt, and wouldn't you know it, the weather was uncooperative again. However, on this trip the weather was too nice. We had daytime temperatures in the 70s and very little wind. I know we shouldn't complain about those conditions, but they weren't the best for duck and pheasant hunting. We made the best of it, though. We fished farm pond crappie one morning, hunted ducks on a beautiful pasture slough three mornings, and even managed to find a few pheasants and quail. No big numbers or limits taken, but enough to satisfy. We had our parents visit the little farm house we stayed in for a beautiful evening and supper, and we mainly kicked back and forgot what day it was. It was a great weekend. I know 20 years ago I would have been frustrated by a perceived lack of hunting success, but I've outgrown that attitude, and so has Brad. We ended the trip supremely satisfied and relaxed, and that should have been the goal along.

No comments:

Post a Comment