There are a variety of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks programs designed to recruit new hunters and anglers. All efforts are in response to a declining trend in the number of Kansans who purchase hunting and fishing licenses, as well as the desire to see our outdoor heritage passed on. But the positive impact of teaching youngsters about the outdoors may go much deeper than merely passing on a heritage.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Promise Of A Puppy


A friend emailed me yesterday, giving me a brief answer to a question I had emailed him earlier in the week, but then he got to the real reason for the email. He announced that he'd just picked up a five-month-old wire-haired pointer. I could sense excitement in his message, and there was optimism in his words. It's funny how a new hunting dog can do that for a hunter. For true dog people, the promise of puppy is about future hunts but also about companionship, joy and optimism. My Lab, Creede, has a lot of gray in his muzzle -- kind of like me -- but he still loves to hunt with me, and he's a loyal and fine companion. But I'll never forget the sheer optimism I had when he was a puppy and he trotted back and placed the training dummy in my hand or when he retrieved his first pheasant. Hunting has been only a small part of our time together, but it provides a purpose for both of us. Something to look forward to; something to remember. A love of hunting dogs is all part of the hunting heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment