There are a variety of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks programs designed to recruit new hunters and anglers. All efforts are in response to a declining trend in the number of Kansans who purchase hunting and fishing licenses, as well as the desire to see our outdoor heritage passed on. But the positive impact of teaching youngsters about the outdoors may go much deeper than merely passing on a heritage.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Renewing The Passion

Some of my earliest memories are of fishing in Colorado with my parents and grandparents. I suppose that's why the Rocky Mountains and rushing rivers still hold such a strong attraction for me. Twenty-five years ago, my wife, Lisa, and I began making short vacations to the mountains. We'd spend two or three days in an area, exploring, sightseeing and fishing, and Lisa developed the same love of the mountains I have. Eventually we settled on an area around Creede because we found a wonderful ranch on the Rio Grande River that rents rustic cabins. We've returned to this area each year now for 20 years, and we've increased our stay to a full week. Three days just weren't enough. We spend every daylight hour outside, soaking in the cool mountain air hiking, fishing, and taking photographs. I realize that nearly everyone who spends time in the mountains appreciates the spectacular scenery. However, our connection is deeper. The mountains, the rivers, the brown trout, all renew a passion that developed in me when I was five years old. The time I spent with my family at a very young age makes this annual trek to the mountains a necessary event for me. While Lisa's tradition is younger, it's no less important. I always think of Granddad and Grandma when I'm in the mountains, and I'm still amazed at the impact the time I had with them has on my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment