There are a variety of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks programs designed to recruit new hunters and anglers. All efforts are in response to a declining trend in the number of Kansans who purchase hunting and fishing licenses, as well as the desire to see our outdoor heritage passed on. But the positive impact of teaching youngsters about the outdoors may go much deeper than merely passing on a heritage.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Scouting For Enthusiasm

Even though this summer's heat is keeping most of us indoors, there is an easy and fun way to build enthusiasm for the coming hunting seasons while staying comfortable in your truck's air conditioning. When I was a youngster, our family had a tradition of taking Sunday evening drives. We'd cruise the backroads of Kiowa County, and I'd keep a tab on the number of pheasants I spotted. It was great fun, and I was always competing to see the most birds, although I don't think my sister really cared. When bird numbers were high, those scouting trips made waiting for November tough for 13-year-old. When we were old enough, Dad would slide over and let me or my little sister drive a few miles. I'll never forget learning to drive a manual transmission on that old Ford with a "three-on-the-tree." With the current drought casting doubt on prospects for the coming bird seasons in some areas, scouting will be critical to success. There will be pockets of good cover, center-pivot corners, and waterholes that will concentrate game birds. If you find a new spot this summer, you'll have time to contact the landowner an seek hunting permission before the seasons open. If you have a young hunter along, scouting will help build enthusiasm. And if there's a learner's permit holder in the truck, a lonely gravel road is the perfect place to hone driving skills. I can assure you, they'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment