There are a variety of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks programs designed to recruit new hunters and anglers. All efforts are in response to a declining trend in the number of Kansans who purchase hunting and fishing licenses, as well as the desire to see our outdoor heritage passed on. But the positive impact of teaching youngsters about the outdoors may go much deeper than merely passing on a heritage.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF PASSING IT ON

I gave a program to our local Rotary Club at noon today. It's a small-town club, and they're always interested in what's going on in Kansas Wildlife, Parks and Tourism. I told them about what I did and what the Information Production Section did, and then I started talking about Pass It On. I'm passionate about the program and what it represents, so it's easy for me to talk about. However, my Dad's a Rotarian and was in the crowd. When I got to the part about being one of the lucky kids growing up because Dad always took me along when he went hunting, I choked up. I was pretty sure I would get emotional, but I didn't feel it until I uttered those words, "I was one of the lucky ones . . . " Even I didn't realize the impact that would have. I had to pause for several seconds and compose myself before I could speak again. Dad's simple act of including me in his hunting trips had a profound impact on my life that continues to this day. Never, ever underestimate the impact of your actions when you spend time hunting and fishing with youngsters. They won't forget it, and the time you spend together will have a positive influence on their lives and your relationships. I'm 52 years old and speaking about my dad taking me hunting 40 years ago chokes me up. Never underestimate the power of passing it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment