There are a variety of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks programs designed to recruit new hunters and anglers. All efforts are in response to a declining trend in the number of Kansans who purchase hunting and fishing licenses, as well as the desire to see our outdoor heritage passed on. But the positive impact of teaching youngsters about the outdoors may go much deeper than merely passing on a heritage.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Revel In The Experience

It seems like just yesterday I was preparing to leave for my Canada fishing trip, but I'm already in my second day back at work. The week went too fast, but my Dad, my aunt and I had a great time. The weather was nice, and even though we had to work hard for the fish we caught, we were successful. It was my Aunt Barbara's first real fishing trip, and she handled herself well. We spent nearly 10 hours a day in the boat and she never once quit casting or acted like she was tired of fishing. She had a lot of coaching from Dad and me -- probably too much, but she took it all in and landed one of the biggest pike of the trip. Because I wanted her to enjoy the entire experience, I spent a lot of time looking for and pointing out the various wildlife we encountered. I never get tired of seeing and hearing loons, watching beavers in the evenings, or marveling at the huge snapping turtles that have climbed out on the bank to bask in the sun. Aunt Barbara loved it all, and I think because she was along, I had more fun. I didn't take any of the sights, sounds or smells for granted, even though I've been there 20 times. Experiencing it through new eyes enhanced the the trip for me. Northwest Ontario is a huge unspoiled wilderness, and being there always has a rejuvenating effect on me. Enjoying it with my dad and aunt made that experience better.

No comments:

Post a Comment